A Collection of Stories from an Undocumented Youth in America

What If It Was You?

Thursday, February 18, 2010

First Story - Follow Up

Note: This is only going to make sense if you've already read the previous post.

Why is it almost nighttime already? It feels like the entire day was wasted.
Well, at least it passed by so quickly. That's a rarity these days, when time seems to be stopped, and I constantly wake up wishing for the next day to be over already.

I wasn't expecting my sister to be home so early. I thought she was working until at least eight or nine, but I guess I got her schedule wrong.
I was in the middle of washing the dishes - HER dishes - because of this morning and how bad and useless I felt, when she walked in the door carrying a box of pizza (ew...).
I was sorta caught by surprise, cuz honestly the last thing I wanted was to be caught doing the dishes, I can't really explain why. I just didn't want her to see me doing them. Plus I felt oh so very awkward, so I guess I might've looked sorta weird when I said a sheepish "hi".

Well, anyway, enough of useless details. The point is that shortly after she got home, while I was still working on the sink, she started nagging me about a job again. Said she was trying to get me a job at the same place she's working at, an Italian restaurant not so far from here, which I find very improbable, because they don't hire without papers there (and my sister's in process for Residency, so she can actually work).
We ended up fighting about it.
"We're low on money, you know", she said.

"And how is that even my fault?", I replied. I don't buy shit for myself. I don't go out places. I don't spend any money AT ALL. Hell, I don't even fucking eat that much.

"I'm not saying it is, but... How about if I don't wanna pay for your stuff anymore? What if I refuse?"

I was SO baffled when I heard that, I couldn't believe my ears. At least I didn't stay quiet out of surprise, and actually let out:
"Excuse me? What SHIT do you pay for me?"

And she pauses for just a split second, but nonetheless long enough for me to notice the hesitation, and replies.
"Well, I was going to pay for your dentist tomorrow!"

"HAH! Really? You can't be fucking serious."
What I actually mean when I said that, is "You can't be fucking serious you're playing that card with me NOW, after everything I've heard you say this morning. You're not really gonna pay for shit for me, and even if you were, I wouldn't want it, because you'll just throw it in my face later on."
Besides, how much does she think the surgery's gonna be, anyway? A hundred bucks? Please. Whatever.

She continues.
"I really was!"

"Well, too bad, because I've already made up my mind to pay for it MYSELF, so thanks but no thanks."

As to which she doesn't answer and storms back into her room.

I finish washing the dishes with frustration, and end my job actually feeling worse than when I started it.

And to think that I had started it in hopes of feeling better.

No comments:

Post a Comment